MOUNTAIN AWARENESS PROGRAM (MAP)
MAP provides professional avalanche awareness and mountain awareness training to SVSEF athletes of all ages.
Both classroom and field-based, MAP provides training and education opportunities to athletes, coaches, and parents. This programming has a lasting impact on how our SVSEF community approaches safety in snowsports. With improved knowledge and experience, athletes and coaches are better prepared for situations that may arise, whether they’re on the mountain or in the backcountry.
During the 2018-2019 season, MAP:
- Reached 165 athletes with classroom presentations
- Provided field-based programs in-bounds and in the backcountry
- Offered community-wide parent education
- Certified coaches in Avalanche 1 course
- Coordinated Sun Valley Ski Patrol meetings with 215 SVSEF alpine athletes
- Partnered with local industry leaders, including Sawtooth Mountain Guides, Sun Valley Guides and Friends of the Sawtooth Avalanche Center
Mountain Awareness Coordinator
Certifications: USSA Alpine Coach Level 200, AAI Avalanche Level 3, AAIRE Avalanche Instructor, AMGA Ski Guide Course, WFR
Hometown: Bedford, MA
College: Dartmouth College
Ski background: I grew up ski racing in New Hampshire and Vermont. From there I went on to race at Dartmouth College, where the highlight of my career was being a part of an NCAA Championship ski team. Since graduating college I have worked as a ski coach and have also really enjoy backcountry skiing and soul shredding.