Financial Aid Information
We are now accepting applications for the Howard Dean Scholarship.
Howard Dean Scholarship
- Open to U14, U16 & U19 Alpine athletes
- This scholarship will be based on financial need, and will be awarded to an athlete who has demonstrated a commitment to the sport of skiing, has exhibited a spirit of co-operation, has been supportive of his or her teammates and has been helpful and respectful to his or her coaches. The recipient will also be an exemplary citizen of our community.
- The recipient will be chosen by the Dean family, based upon the application received and recommendations submitted by the SVSEF coaching staff. In conjunction with a review of the application, the following factors will be considered in determining the recipient:
- Financial need as determined by the existing SVSEF financial aid application.
- Preference will be given to an athlete who has come up through the SVSEF program.
- Applications are due by Monday, April 10
- Recipient of the full-tuition scholarship for the 2017-2018 season will be announced at the Alpine awards banquet on Thursday, April 13
- Completed applications can be emailed to Mimi Crocker or dropped off at the Training Center.
Thanks to the generosity of our community and donors, SVSEF is able to provide $225,000 in need-based financial aid to qualified athletes. SVSEF believes that any child with the desire to participate in one of our programs should be able to. We encourage families to apply for need-based financial aid and we strive to educate families about SVSEF scholarship opportunities as well as other avenues of financial support. If you have any questions about your child’s participation on a team, please call the office at (208) 726-4129 or email us at email@example.com
FINANCIAL AID OPPORTUNITIES
1) SVSEF need-based Financial Aid
SVSEF subscribes to School and Student Service for Financial Aid (SSS) by NAIS. SSS evaluates the financial information provided by parents based on a nationally accepted formula used by independent schools. SVSEF receives a Report of Family Contribution (RFC) from SSS that identifies adjusted income and net worth. A special financial aid committee, comprised of board members and executive staff, at SVSEF reviews reports, looks at the cost of keeping an athlete on team – tuition plus average cost to travel – and takes a very serious approach to evaluating financial need prior to making any final determination or award. New guidelines have been implemented for the 2016-2017 season to encourage families to apply.
Note: Thank you notes from children will be used anonymously in upcoming annual reports, public relations collateral, and on our website unless otherwise requested by a parent or legal guardian. The LASAR program does not qualify for the multiple team discount offering and is not eligible for need-based financial aid except on an individual case by case basis.
Apply now. Don’t delay! If you have submitted financial information to SSS for the school year, you do not have to resubmit but you will need to link SVSEF through school code 9063.
How to apply for need-based financial aid: deadline is Friday, August 12, 2016
- Accounts with SVSEF must be current and in good standing.
- Complete the Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) online APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID HERE
- NOTE: For separated or divorced parents, each parent (custodial and non-custodial) must submit all required forms on behalf of his or her household.
- Provide SVSEF with a hard copy of a joint return or each parents’ 2015 income tax return and the SVSEF application cover page. FINANCIAL AID COVER LETTER
SSS by NAIS site information: SSS has a toll free customer service helpline available from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST Monday through Friday to answer questions related to the Parents’ Financial Statement and application process. If you have questions about the application process, please call 800-344-8328.
The SVSEF School Code is 9063
2) SVSEF Scholarship Opportunities
Howard Dean Scholarship
Background: This scholarship is awarded in memory of Howard Dean, a longtime SVSEF alpine coach and ski racing supporter.
Deadline: The deadline for the 2017-2018 season is Monday, April 10.
Amount: The scholarship provides full tuition for the season for a U14, U16 or U19 alpine skier.
How to Apply: An application form can be found on the SVSEF website prior to the deadline.
John R. Kalik True North Scholarship
Background: The scholarship was established in memory of John R. Kalik, who was inspired by the mountains and skies of Idaho and who lived his life with joy, gratitude and love.
Deadline: The deadline for the 2017-2018 season has passed.
Amount: The award is given to three rising junior and/or senior athletes and covers half of an athlete’s tuition for a season.
How to Apply: The application consists of a one-page typed essay. The essay prompt this year is: Which SVSEF core value (sportsmanship, citizenship, character, teamwork, creativity, passion, perseverance) has had the greatest influence on you, and how have you applied it to other aspects of your life?
Essay submissions will be reviewed by a panel, and award recipients will be announced at their respective team banquets at the end of the winter season. Questions and/or essays may be submitted to Jody Zarkos.
3) National Funding Opportunities
T2 Foundation junior team grants for ages 14-19
The T2 Foundation, a non-profit organization that supports alpine, cross-country and freestyle skiers, has launched a grant program aimed at skiers ages 14-19. The foundation’s annual grant program helps offset the costs associated with training and competing at an elite level, and T2 athletes also give back to the youth and ski community by connecting with kids around the country through organized events and programs.
Application deadline has passed for 2016
For more information on the specific components required to apply, please visit the T2 Foundation website here.