Financial Aid Information
Need-Based Financial Aid
Thanks to the generosity of our community and donors, SVSEF is able to provide $340,000 in need-based financial aid to qualified athletes.
Any family needing assistance is encouraged to apply.
SVSEF believes that any child with the desire to participate in one of our programs should be able to. We encourage families to apply for need-based financial aid, which is applied towards an athlete’s tuition. We strive to educate families about SVSEF scholarship opportunities as well as other avenues of financial support. If you have any questions about your child’s participation on a team, please call the office at (208) 726-4129 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: While need-based financial aid is applied to an athlete’s tuition, SVSEF also sets aside additional funds for need-based merit aid throughout the season. Merit aid is awarded on a case-by-case basis; please speak with your athlete’s coach for more information.
The LASAR and Striders programs do not qualify for the multiple team discount offering and are not eligible for need-based financial aid, except on an individual case-by-case basis. These programs have a separate financial aid process; for more information on tuition aid for LASAR and Striders, please call SVSEF at (208) 726-4129.
SVSEF subscribes to School and Student Service for Financial Aid (SSS) by NAIS. SSS evaluates the financial information provided by parents based on a nationally accepted formula used by independent schools.
- SVSEF receives a Report of Family Contribution (RFC) from SSS that identifies adjusted income and net worth.
- A special financial aid committee, comprised of board members and executive staff, at SVSEF reviews reports, looks at the cost of keeping an athlete on team – tuition plus average cost to travel – and takes a very serious approach to evaluating financial need prior to making any final determination or award.
- Note: Thank you notes from children will be used anonymously in upcoming annual reports, public relations collateral, and on our website unless otherwise requested by a parent or legal guardian.
The deadline for application is Monday, August 14, 2017.
- Accounts with SVSEF must be current and in good standing.
- If you have submitted financial information to SSS for the school year, you do not have to resubmit but you will need to link SVSEF through SCHOOL CODE 9063.
- Complete the Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) online
- Submit each parent’s 2016 income tax return information through SSS.
NOTE: For separated or divorced parents, each parent (custodial and non-custodial) must submit all required forms on behalf of his or her household.
SSS has a toll free customer service helpline available from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST Monday through Friday to answer questions related to the Parents’ Financial Statement and application process. If you have questions about the application process, please call 800-344-8328.
Background: This scholarship is awarded in memory of Howard Dean, a longtime SVSEF alpine coach and ski racing supporter.
Deadline: The deadline for the 2016-2017 season has passed. The recipient for the 2016-2017 season was Skye Leininger.
Amount: The scholarship provides full tuition for the season for a U14, U16 or U19 alpine skier.
How to Apply: An application form can be found on the SVSEF website prior to the deadline.
Background: The scholarship was established in memory of John R. Kalik, who was inspired by the mountains and skies of Idaho and who lived his life with joy, gratitude and love.
Deadline: The deadline for the 2016-2017 season has passed. Recipients were Rainey Wilson, Kaia Jensen and Sophia Mazzoni.
Amount: The award is given to three rising junior and/or senior athletes and covers half of an athlete’s tuition for a season.
How to Apply: The application consists of a one-page typed essay. The essay prompt for the 2016-2017 season is: Which SVSEF core value (sportsmanship, citizenship, character, teamwork, creativity, passion, perseverance) has had the greatest influence on you, and how have you applied it to other aspects of your life?
Essay submissions will be reviewed by a panel, and award recipients will be announced at their respective team banquets at the end of the winter season.
National Funding Opportunities
The T2 Foundation is a non-profit organization that supports alpine, cross-country and freestyle skiers. Our annual grant program helps offset the costs associated with training and competing at an elite level. The T2 community gives back to the youth and ski community by connecting athletes with youth around the country through organized events and programs.
Last season, T2 supported 35 athletes through our junior team program. Those athletes saw success on many levels. We also gave support to the entire team of athletes that was selected to go to World Juniors in Are, Sweden.
This year, we will be accepting grants from athletes from birth years 97-03. The T2 Junior Team Grants are designed to help the country’s best young talent continue within the development pipeline. The grants will be awarded based on need, merit, school standing and contributions to community.
The goal of the Junior Team program is to support America’s best young skiers in the quest to become the world’s best athletes.
Deadline: June 2, 2017
Amount: Grants will be designated for travel and training purposes and, whenever possible, applied directly to those needs through affiliated programs. Our grants range from $1,500 to $10,000 depending on need and age.
How to Apply:
- Athletic resume
- An explanation of your funding needs for the season
- Two letters of recommendation (one coach and one personal)
- Submission of your family’s financial information to the NAIS SSS system using this link- http://sssbynais.org/parents -school code 191966
- Athletic standing
- Financial need
- School status, extra-curricular activities and community service
For more information, check out the website t2foundation.com, and don’t hesitate to contact Libby Ratico, junior team grant coordinator, with any questions at email@example.com.