Mountain Adventure Curriculum (MAC)
MAC is not an independent team, but designed as a program offering supplemental activities for all SVSEF members within the target age range. The curriculum offered is focused on providing interested members the opportunity to explore all that the mountains can provide in a safe and educational setting, away from competition.
Ages: 14 to 19
Fee: MAC is project-based. The projects come with separate “project fees” based on activity and amount of participation.
Curriculum: Single or multi-day adventure based projects. SVSEF members 14 and older will receive a season schedule in the fall, as well as monthly updates throughout the year.
The curriculum is crafted to help athletes evolve their skill set with regard to technical skiing fundamentals, mountain awareness, snow safety, backcountry experience, and big mountain terrain. The Mountain Adventure Curriculum provides alternative experiences beyond our core sport competitions. This curriculum will be managed and delivered through the head coach of the IFSA Big Mountain Team. Our Big Mountain staff, in conjunction with Sawtooth Mountain Guides, will be responsible for organizing, communicating, and delivering high quality and professional experiences in line with the standards and core values of SVSEF.
Athletes who are interested in participating in the Mountain Adventure Curriculum must be at least 14 years old.
▪ Our primary goal for all teams and activities at SVSEF is to provide comprehensive athletic platforms for athletes to train, learn and experience a broad scope of mountain culture and experience.
▪ We strive to foster a culture of sport and wellness for our athletes. Long beyond the days of an active competition career, we hope to create lifestyle skills that support healthy living, fitness and positive physical engagement. The MAC program is designed to provide an avenue for continued future participation in snow sport, build experience, and educate athletes who are interested in a broader knowledge base beyond our core competition sports.
▪ In all activities we aspire to cultivate and celebrate the core values that drive SVSEF’s mission: passion, perseverance, sportsmanship, citizenship, teamwork, creativity & character.
These are some of the activities that maybe provided within the Mountain Adventure Curriculum:
▪ Wilderness First Aid course – sixteen-hour emergency first aid course will take place in the classroom and field. Two-year certification and college credit awarded upon successful completion.
▪ Step one avalanche awareness to be coordinated through the Sawtooth Avalanche Center.
▪ Skinning up Baldy.
▪ Transceiver practice/backcountry gear knowledge and guided big mountain style freeskiing within resort boundaries.
▪ Avalanche 1 and/or mountaineering skills certification through Sawtooth Mountain Guides
▪ Backcountry experience off-resort with Sawtooth Mountain Guides (either day trips or overnight hut trips)